The majority of us are shallow breathers, we aren’t even aware we draw in minimal amount of air into our chest, rather than throughout the lungs via the diaphragm. This means our body does not get enough oxygen to optimally perform it’s infinite functions. Many of us fail to breathe deeply when we feel tense, which leads to feeling exhausted after an eventful day.
Consciously deep breathing will help bring more oxygen into your cells, which lowers blood pressure, slows heart rate and improves circulation; ultimately providing more energy!
Breathing Technique to Increase Your Energy
- Put the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth, just behind your upper teeth.
- Exhale through your mouth.
- Inhale through your nose for a count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale through your mouth for a count of eight.
Repeat steps 2 to 5 four times.
** I used a timer app on my iPhone called “Interval Timer Pro”, to set up the breathing reps.